Sunday, November 19, 2006

Change O' Plans

If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.

Change of plans. Surprise!

I don't think that I should even write a blog every time my plans change; I would have way too many entries. But I just thought it was funny. My grand scheme lasted a whole ... week. Bummer.

My wise advisor is now leaning me away from the School of Ed. Reasons?
  • It will take me at least five and a half years for Undergrad. And I could have a B.A. and a Masters in the same amount of time
  • It's a total gamble. She's seen people with better GPA's than me get rejected. Then I've wasted two years of my life completing dozens of "un-used" credits
  • I won't get to keep the Honors degrees that I've already / am completed / completing
  • For as much time as you're putting into it, you only get one major. They won't let you graduate wtih a degree in English (even though you've completed all the necessary requirements for the English major itself) and English Education (even though you've completed all the requirements for English Education itself). Trippy, I know.

All it is is Red Tape. Stupid beaurocracy that's keeping me from what I want. It's frustrating, because I know I'm entirely capable of doing this, but to me it's a whole lot of hoops to jump through.

What now? Well. I was thinking about maybe getting out nice and easy in four years. And then getting my Masters in Education. That way, I'll know how to teach. I'll know a lot about English. I'll save lots of time, time that can be spent doing other fun things. I'll have one more plaque to put on my wall. And, if I'm teaching at a WELS or Christian school or whatever, you mostly don't need a teaching certificate. I sorta looked at the credentials of some of the WELS teachers around the synod. If they didn't go to MLC, there were a bunch that got their undergrads and masters from big universities (a couple from Madison, even). So I know at least that it's theoretically possible.

And, if I don't get a job, I will mooch off my father and travel the world. Kidding.

Sorta.

Heh.

Yay for the liberal arts!!

Who needs practicality when you're a well-rounded person with an eccentric father?

No comments: