Saturday, February 20, 2010

Speed Limit: 30 kph

Hello from Luang Prabang, Laos! With a move that took us about 100 miles north, we've left the  all-day Happy Hours and "Laobeer" singlets behind us. Suddenly, we have entered the realm of wine-tasting, art galleries, and handicraft boutiques. Essentially, we've progressed from Spring Break to mid-life-crisis in the span of about three days. Nice. Don't spread this around too much, but we like this crowd a little bit better: they're dressed a little more tastefully, know how to use inside voices, and eat better food, as a rule.
 

As you can see, it's gorgeous here. But, most awesome places are really hard to get to, and this was no exception. The bus ride was a dicey eight hours or something (the speed limit was about 18 mph ... ), and I don't think that there was any leg of the trip that didn't include hairpin curves along mountainsides. I'm used to this white-knuckle riding experience by now - and I don't think anything will ever top getting to Mt. Everest - but my stomach might never be. I felt pretty horrible the whole time, and my uncomfortable situation wasn't helped any by the fact that I had about half a seat. The other half was taken up by the giant seated next to me. I believe this man's neck was about the same circumference as my waist, so that was a blast ... especially when he would nod off and his head would come crashing onto me, threatening to break my collarbone or cause death by asphyxiation.

Other than the silliness of taking an entire working day to travel the distance between Milwaukee and Green Bay, I don't have too much to report. Oh! Except that we saw a Lao farmer wearing an old-school Brett Favre jersey!! Have I ever mentioned that sometimes globalization is awesome?!

On that note, this sleepy Wisconsin girl is off to bed. Go Pack Go?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya, but was it a Packer's Favre jersey or a Viking's Favre jersey? How could you leave such crucial information out of your blog :).

Anonymous said...

Okay you said "old school" so I'm assuming it was a Packer jersey. Now I can rest in peace.