Tuesday, October 20, 2009

::Shudder::

I really, really love my Chinese students. I do.

But here's the thing: Sometimes the gifts they give are really, really strange.

For instance, tonight we went out to dinner with a friend's student. Actually, he wasn't even her student. He just became somehow acquainted with her and some other foreign teachers last semester. He invited them out to dinner, and it became a group affair, as many things become here.

And he brought squid jerky all the way from his hometown for his new foreign friends!

Mmm. Squid jerky.

I have brushed my teeth twice and still cannot get the taste out of my mouth. Please, please make it stop!!

1 comment:

Dan Teuteberg said...

I have tried squid jerky and actually enjoyed it! I do know that hometown gifts are cherished in most cultures. MMM... Squid jerky! Send it my way!