Friday, October 23, 2009

Coming to China?

Today in class we learned how to structure sentences that give advice and sentences that point out necessity. I could say, for example, "I need to shower." However, this wouldn't technically be correct, apparently, because there aren't any laws here in China that tell me I need to shower, it's not mandated by anyone or anything. It would be better for me to say, "I really ought to / should / had better shower."

(It's true. I really ought to shower. Some things just don't change ...)

Anyway, I told my students that my family is coming to visit me in China, and that they've never been here before. Their group work was to come up with six sentences - three suggestions and three necessities - of advice for the laowai (foreign visitors). Here are some of my favorites:
  • They shouldn't go to Beijing or Shanghai. Because it's too big. You will get lost. [We wouldn't want that, now would we?]
  • They should have a Chinese friend and the friend should know the price in lots of the country.
  • They should eat local specialmes. [Mmm ... specialmes.]
  • They'd better find a Chinese or someone who can speak Chinese.
  • They should go to Beijing and eat Beijing Duck.
  • If they get lost they should call 110. [My students were, apparently, very concerned that you would not get lost.]
  • You have to take much money.
  • You must follow Chinese laws.
  • You'd better use chopsticks when you eat Chinese dishes. [Or else ...]
  • They should order hotel. Because on vacation there are so many tourists on China.
  • You need to buy tickets before going to the parks.
  • You have to take the passport with you. [Ah yes, they must remember the passport.]
  • They'd better go to visit Dong Fa Ming Zhu (the tallest building in Shanghai).
  • They must notice thief, because they're too many people in Shanghai.
  • They must be careful of the traffic safety.
  • If you're a woman or a girl, you should go shopping. [No boys allowed.]
  • You must care the weather. Because maybe the city you want to go is different from your city.
  • You must taste as much as you can eat!
  • They ought to care about transportation because there are so many cars in China, and the traffic system is important to everybody. [I didn't realize there was so much pride invested into the transport system, but there you have it.]
And, my personal favorite,
  • You must believe your daughter is the most beautiful English teacher in our school. [Annnnd - YOU get an A!]
Now you're all ready to come to China, friends! See ya' in Shanghai -- if you don't get lost first.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to know that the male dislike for shopping transcends national borders - maybe the belief in cooties is too :). Too bad I can't say the same about pride in our transportation. Wisconsin freeway traffic is horrible.

Ketan said...

Hey, you need to respect the Chinese students' English! You know, they eat their food with chopsticks! So, stop making light of their English or else... ;)

Actually, born into a vegetarian family, the first and only thing that comes to my mind at the mention of China is their strikingly different idea of what they choose to call 'food'! I'd read in newspapers how the Chinese government was very serious about improving the English of their students. Looks like the papers were right!

A sweet post; enjoyed reading it! Am blogrolling you!

Take care.

Bethany said...

Oh my goodness!
These are so great.
It's fun to have a little insight into the world of learning a second language...because the mistakes make a lot of sense.

Thanks for sharing, Nikki! :)