Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I <3 Madison

I had an experience yesterday that gave me a new appreciation for the fabulous University of Wisconsin.

I had acting class, as usual. But instead of hanging out in our classroom as usual, our teacher decided that it would be a good idea to move into a new environment ... you know, in front of an audience ...

We were led to the speaking platform on Library Mall, right at the beginning of State St. We did "trust" exercises with our scene partners. Sounds weird? It was, weirder than you can imagine. We were mirroring each other, making sound effects, contorting our bodies into strange positions ... and yes, all the while, crowds of students were making their way to their choice State St. establishments.

Then some kids went through their scenes. Acting on an outdoor stage, while the last of the fall leaves swirled around us.

I only have one question: Where are my dreadlocks?!

(PS: I'm sitting in my Rhetoric of Religion class right now. Professor Howard's advice for the day is: "If you get the opportunity to start a colony, make sure you name it after yourself." Thanks Howard. You're a wise man.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nikki - agreed.

My synod, that I am starting (it will be sort of an Amish cult, where we all wear tie-dye all the time and hold peace demonstrations in the streets) is going to be the HELS: Hudock Evangelical Lutheran Synod.

"come to the hels, where we don't have water...but we do have word"

I think I may be prosecuted and have to build a compound in Texas.