Sunday, June 24, 2007

Taking a Breather

Finally, finally - a weekend. It's only been three weeks or something, but it feels like it has been forever. It felt sooo nice to just take a nap, read some Harry Potter, and now, hang out in the air conditioned basement of the registration building updating you folks on my life.

This past week was somewhat intense, much more for some than me. I don't really know how some are still going ... This is just an interesting week in general for us staff. It's made up of two half weeks: from Sunday to Wednesday, 2nd to 4th graders. From Wednesday to Sunday, 6th through 8th graders. I counseled the first half of the week. The kids were so little! Some of them were the cutest things I have ever seen ... others were, well, a little whiny. They all took extreme amounts of patience and constant entertainment (in the attempt to ward off homesickness like the plague), though. It was really fun, I thought, but also incredibly tiring.

Truthfully, I was really grateful to be put on Program Staff for the second half of the week. For one, the staff is just worn out from not having a break. For two, it's a rough, rough week. It's for the kids who should be able to go for a whole week but can't ... it's pretty much filled with homesickness, whiners, kids with problems ... a whole barrel of monkeys. It's also a small week, so we had a lot of non-counseling staff. That meant, for those of us without cabins, it was a rather relaxing couple of days. I myself was so grateful for it, but my prayers were with those who didn't get that time to wind down. I ended up doing a little bit of photography, a little bit of cleaning, and I helped to plan closing campfire and an evening game. It was a nice break.

I wish I could keep a book of the funny things I hear kids say. There's a lot, but I can't remember them anymore ... maybe I'll write them down and you can be amused someday as well...

Coming up next, we've got Specialty Week. I'm leading photography specialty for the second year now, just as clueless as I was last year. I've also got a cabin, so it'll be a busy week. I'm looking forward to it, though!

Speaking of which, I want to do some planning for that ... sending my love!

No comments: