Sunday, January 17, 2010

All the Info You Need, All In One Convenient Post!


From Thanksgiving to New Year's, All in One Post!

Why waste your valuable time reading through multiple posts about the mundane affairs of my daily life, when you could read just one post about everything that's happened to me in the last two months in just one easy-to-read entry!? Now, for a limited time only, you can! For you, valued reader, this is a FREE* service! So act quickly, read TODAY!

You see, it's really all for your convenience that I haven't written in ages. I wanted to do one giant update, to save you the hassle of needlessly clicking on links ...

Actually, that's all a lie, and the truth is that I just suck at doing anything consistently, so my apologies if you have in fact been waiting for an entry since Thanksgiving. But it's a new year, and with a new year comes the opportunity to make positive changes. Or, more aptly, the opportunity to go on making the same mistakes over and over again. But, we keep trying, so here goes.

I find myself already in the third week of a new year, asking myself where the time has gone, and how things seem to have come full-circle so quickly. The final weeks of 2009 were filled with a lot of the good kind of busy-ness (such as Christmas parties, end-of-semester parties, planning for my fast-approaching tour de South East Asia, and getting ready to welcome a pile of American visitors) and some of the bad kind of busy-ness (such as dealing with the aftermath of a lost debit card with the most incompentent bank in the world, writing final exams, figuring out exit and entry visa requirements and dates to any number of foreign countries, and beginning the process of packing up and moving out of Wuxi).

Before I even had time to realize it, I found myself on a bus headed for PuDong airport (at an almost imperceptible and insanity-inducing crawl, due to incredible traffic), and finally reached the International Arrivals terminal to greet my travel-weary family and boyfriend. Thus commenced over a week of good old-fashioned Chinese fun! It was a wonderful blessing to be able to share my love for China with my loved ones. We were able to accomplish some of the "mandatory" things: We walked through People's Square in Shanghai, we wandered the Old Town and the Yu Gardens, we traveled to the top-ish of the Shanghai World Financial Center for pricey drinks and what was supposed to be impressive views of the skyline ... Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the Bund, due to stupid construction. Really, Shanghai? You're just going to close down the Bund, the most recognizable landmark in the city? Thanks for nothin'. Then we traveled onto Tongli, a water village outside the city for a glimpse at the more rural side of China, all thanks to Hao and his family's insurmountable hospitality to us. Hao and his uncle drove us to Wuxi in our packed van, where my family had a chance to see a little bit of my daily life. We had a meal in "the vil" (where we accidentally consumed fried snake ... yum?), and they got to hang out in my apartment for awhile while I administered my students' final exam. That night was a highlight for me, as we were able to host a "wild" KTV party for my students. I think it was as fun for my students to meet a whole posse of laowai as it was for my visitors to see Chinese students take charge of the microphone and belt out their pop favorites. From Wuxi, we took the most luxurious train that I will ever take (the D soft sleeper!) to Beijing, where we met with a family friend, Tony, for a day of local treats and good eats. The highlight of Beijing was of course the Wall, which doesn't fail to disapoint, even the second time around. After a few chilly days in the North, our trip had us end up back in Shanghai, with just enough time for naps, some Western food, and some seriously strategic packing.

And then they were gone! And I was all alone for the first time in over a week, and it was snowing in Shanghai, and I had to find the Vietnamese consulate. It was a long day ...

When I found myself back in Wuxi for the final time, I had just a couple days to do a final run-through of my apartment and play "To Pack or Not to Pack." I also had the thrilling opportunity of adminstering exit exams for EFL students, which was certainly the time of my life (or not). Two days of listening and reading the same answers over and over ... In case you're interested, their favorite move is Titantic, their favorite movie star is Bruce Lee, and Shanghai is the place that they would most like to visit in the whole world. Apparently, this is true for about 90% of the EFL students at Lambton, or so says our survey. All this excitement, AND a classroom with no heat?! Lucky us! Finally, my last full day in the Wu was spent in an absolutely mad, stressful dash of turning in grades, portfolios, and keys, and trying to get signatures and money from various people scattered around the administration buildings (oh yes, and breaking my friends ebike and lock. Sorry Carl ...). As Katrina aptly put it, "It's like a scavenger hunt." Yeah, a really unfun one. It's a little embarassing to admit, given the fact that my life isn't stressful or demanding at all, but after all that last-minute running around, I collapsed back in my apartment and felt the kind of relief that I felt after a week of exams or completed papers. It's funny how we adapt to whatever situation we're in, and have just enough strength for whatever the task may be, and no more.

On Friday morning, I found myself beginning my journey out of China. There were some more tears shed, and soon I was on a train, saying goodbye to Wuxi forever, probably. Even though I was only there for a short while, it left an impression on my life, and it will always be an important place to me. I'm incredibly thankful for the opportunity I had; I couldn't have asked for more in an extended stay in China. I spent a day an a half in Shanghai, spending some quality time with Hao and sharing one more sad goodbye before jetting off to Nanning in southern China, where I am currently writing this post from. Tonight, I will board my train bound for Hanoi and bid my zaijians to China (though hopefully not forever. After all, zaijian does literally mean "See you again!"). However excited I am for South East Asia, I can't help but feel bittersweet about this whole situation. I think I'll feel better once I hit the road in earnest and get rid of all this slow, painful process of goodbye.

Like the description of my blog says, "The Road goes ever on and on." So, I guess now my road is leading me out of one country that I love dearly, and into another fascinating region of the world. It can't be stopped, so I'm left to follow it eagerly. Here's to the beginning of a new journey! Thanks for accompanying me along the way; your support means more than you know.

*Though the writer would appreciate a donation to her travel fund. No? Alright, I'll survive. Thanks for reading. :)

No comments: