Saturday, June 17, 2006

On the Scene at Camp Phillip

Hey guys!

Following the lead of my lovely older sister and her husband, I decided to keep a blog too. We're all pretty busy people, and it just might be fun to keep everyone updated on my life ... However, I can't gaurantee the Excitement that seems to be so prevalent at the Frahm household!

But things are never simply "normal." At least, not at Camp Phillip. My co-workers and I have often asked ourselves what people would say were they to walk in on a regular day at Camp:

-Serious battles going on in the woods. Last week, our favorite woods game gave one Jr. Staff a broken wrist and another a black eye that only someone like Chuck Norris could give. Ahh, all for the love of the game. (Don't worry mom, I didn't put up too much of a fight when the campers tried to catch me ... )
-Insane song periods. What would YOU think if you walked in on dozens of people running around with trumpets and horns and drums and accordians, screaming at the top of their lungs about a tin solider?
-Games with names like "Zoogle" and "Screaming Yellow Zonkers" and "Kaholtzen" and "Tweener." Don't knock em till you've played em!
I've had a lot of cool learning experiences already. During training, I learned countless techniques for working with campers, I became certified as a Ropes Course Aide (I got a 93 on my test!), and I also got introduced to other important stuff like CPR. That was a little scary, but so was learning how to do shallow water sweeps in case of a waterfront emergency and how to use an epipen and an AED (that shocky thing for heart attacks n stuff). Not fun stuff to think about, but it's important! It's also a relief to have an amazingly talented and dedicated staff around at all times. There are so many times when I just sit back and say to myself, 'Wow, if I could have half their [fill in the blank with a desirable trait]!' I think I may just be learning the most from my peers!

All the craaaaaziness of Camp leaves you pretty whipped by the time Saturday rolls around. And to think, we haven't even had real campers yet! My two weeks of training and my week as Program Staff/Work Horse/Group Leader during Jr. Staff training are now over, and the real stuff begins on Sunday! Needless to say, I am completely exhaused tonight, but I am glad for the chance to be able to scavenger for food and play some cards with some buds on a night off. Though last week was filled with not-so-fun activities such as hauling logs, moving stones, building firepits, clearing the woods, raking out new campsites, and the like, it was still a very fulfilling week. Camp is a wonderful place to work hard and to have fun by letting your wild side out, but it is also a place that brings you so much closer to your Creator and Savior, and for those reasons and so many more, it is truly a blessing to be working here. God always knows what He's doing, even when He leads you to a place you had almost forgotten about ...

Well, I should get going. It looks like a game of Euchre will be brewing soon! I'm thinking about you all back home, but I know that Someone bigger than me is holding down the fort, and that things will be just where they need to be when I return!

Love!

1 comment:

Sarah Jones said...

HEY NIKKI! I miss you so much and am so glad you decided to get a blog. Oh wait, we are staying in the same cabin at the same camp in the same city that is SKETCH! I am glad you got a blog, your blog is now an effective form of procrastination for me.
Toodles,
sj