Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Oblivion

I feel like it's been awhile since I've posted anything, and it probably has been ... I can't remember. There's a lot of things I can't remember lately (such as the day of the week, for example) because I was floating around in the blissful oblivion that is found on the beaches of southern Thailand.

For the past 4, 5, 6 days (I really don't know how long, and I can't be bothered to figure it out), I was soaking up the sun on the beaches of the Andaman Coast of Thailand. Our jumping off point was a beach outside the town of Krabi called Ao Nang. From there, we were able to grab ferries or small boats over to other beaches and islands in the area. When planning this trip however many months ago, I had ambitions of taking advantage of the world-class climbing, scuba diving, and snorkeling that is to be found in these here parts. But, upon arrival, I found that I had absolutely no desire to do anything but lay on my cheap bamboo mat with book in hand. Some kind stranger just gave away her copy of the 600+ pg Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie to me. I was so grateful, as even used English books on this side of the world are stupid expensive. It has been widely entertaining, especially if you've had the privilidge or misfortune of traveling to India, however you look at it ... ;) Had it not been for this book, even more of my brain cells would have floated away with the tide, and I would have been simply unable to resist the pull of the vortex of paradise.

And this, my friends, is nearly a wrap. Come 4:30am tomorrow, I'll be dragging myself out of bed and cursing the commencement of the first leg of the 36+ hr journey back to MKE ...

Just like that, eight months is almost over?

No comments: